Franklin Drug Crimes Lawyer
Criminal Attorneys Serving Clients in Tennessee
Drug abuse has reached epidemic proportions in Tennessee and throughout the country. If you are charged with any type of drug crime in Franklin or Williamson County, the potential penalties you face are severe. At the Long Firm, LLC, our criminal defense attorneys provide the experienced, skilled legal representation you need in these situations. With several decades worth of combined experience in handling these and other types of challenging criminal cases, you can trust us to act as a strong legal advocate on your behalf, helping to ensure your rights are protected.
How Drugs Are Categorized in Tennessee
Under the Tennessee Criminal Code, charges for drug crimes vary depending on both the type of offense and by the specific drug involved. Drugs are divided into different categories, which include:
- Schedule I drugs: These include ‘street drugs’ with no medical use in the U.S. and a high potential for abuse. Examples include opiates and hallucinogens, including heroin and MDMA, otherwise known as Molly or Ecstasy.
- Schedule II drugs: These are also highly addictive yet have some limited medical uses. These include morphine and certain types of opioid medications, as well as street drugs such as methamphetamine, PCP, and cocaine.
- Schedule III drugs: These include addictive, prescribed medications with lower levels of abuse, such as hydrocodone, anabolic steroids, and different types of sedatives or barbiturates.
- Schedule IV drugs: These include medications with accepted medical uses and a low potential for abuse, such as appetite suppressants, antidepressants, sleep aids, and antianxiety medications.
- Schedule V drugs: These include commonly prescribed medications with a low risk for adverse effects, such as cough syrup containing codeine.
- Schedule VI drugs: Marijuana, which is legal in some states but illegal in Tennessee, falls into this category, as do synthetic equivalents.
While sentences for drug crimes involving Schedule IV through VI drugs tend to be less severe than more dangerous and addictive substances, you could still be facing heavy fines and a potential jail sentence depending on the type of drug offenses you are charged with.
Tennessee Drug Offenses
At the Long Firm, LLC we provide an aggressive legal defense for clients facing a variety of drug crimes, from minor misdemeanors to felony offenses that could result in both state and federal charges. Cases we represent include:
- Simple drug possession or possession of drug paraphernalia, which can carry up to a one year jail sentence and fines up to $2,500 or more for a first offense;
- Drug sales and distribution, which can carry up to 2 years or more in jail and fines of $50,000 or higher, depending on the type, amount, and how it was sold;
- Manufacture or delivery of drugs, which can carry up to 25 years in jail and fines up to $500,000, depending on the type and amount of the drug and any prior offenses;
- Drug trafficking, which could result in a mandatory sentence of life in a federal prison under the US Code.
Our Criminal Lawyers Are Here to Help
When you are facing these types of serious penalties, you need a strong, experienced criminal defense attorney to protect you. Call or contact the Long Firm, LLC today to get our team started on your case.